About Me

My photo
I live in west central Georgia, father of two great daughters. Be sure to double click on the blog photos for a clearer more detailed picture. Click on the underlined words to be connected to the subject's website! Also, all comments are welcome! Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 2011 Cruise

Here we are on Dennis Connor's 1983 America's Cup boat the Stars and Stripes. The boat requires a crew of 14 to get the maximum speed from her. We had just finished racing the Canadian boat in the background - also an America's Cup boat. Needless to say the guy in the front and I (in the dark shirt) were the winch grinders (the bigger guys were always used). You can see the winch handle in the front right side of the photo of the one I was responsible for. The winch had 3 speeds or gearings to help tighten the genoa sail when tacking or coming about - pardon me - my sailing vocabulary is a bit rusty. The real crew were the captain Tony (UK) adjusting his cap, Joe (Argentina) in the white holding the line on the right. The rest of us were cruise line amateurs.


This is the Stars and Stripes with main sail up and the genoa sail still rolled up.


We sailed on Carnival's Inspiration - leaving Tampa on a Monday, headed to UK's Cayman Islands on to Mexico's Cozumel arriving back in Tampa Saturday Morning.

Never thought I would say this but I was ready to get home. Five days of lazy were too many for me. Three days next time. All in all I had a good time except for the weight gain.

No comments: